MI Choice services are for adults 18 and older who have nursing-home level of care needs. They want to live at home or in another residential setting instead of a nursing home but cannot afford to pay for services. The residential setting could be a home, assisted living, adult foster care or homes for the aging.
Qualified individuals can receive a range of services and supports. Options might include help with bathing, dressing and transferring, or light housekeeping, laundry, home-delivered meals, specialized equipment, caregiver relief, adult day care, nursing services, non-medical transportation, a personal emergency response system, electronic medicine dispenser, or help moving from a nursing home.
Here are a few examples of clients that we’ve been able to help:
- Provided help with meals and chores as well as a ramp for a single mom, fighting a debilitating chronic illness, who wanted to remain at home with her teenage daughter.
- Assisted a 64 year old with transportation and application for Senior Housing, as well as care in the home.
- Provided Adult Day Care services for 85 year old during the times that her caregiver daughter works outside the home.
- Purchased a personal emergency response system and provided personal care and meals which allowed an 87 year old gentleman to move back to his own home.
- Provided services to an 88 year old woman who is in assisted living.
If you, a friend or loved one has nursing-home level of care needs and wants to live at home, call Region IV Area Agency on Aging.
Call the Info-Line at (800) 654-2810 to speak with a trained specialist who can answer questions about the MI Choice program. You can also visit the link on our website, http://www.areaagencyonaging.org/programs-services/home-based-care-options/1330-mi-choice-waiver, for more information.
*MI Choice services are funded through the MI Choice Home and Community Based Waiver program.