During tax season, there’s an increase in scam phone calls from criminals claiming to be tax officials asking for cash payments through a wire transfer or prepaid debit card. The Michigan Department of Treasury reminds taxpayers that the agency will never:
- Initiate a phone call to ask for personal information;
- Call to demand immediate payment from a prepaid debit card, wire transfer or gift card;
- Threaten to immediately arrest the taxpayer;
- Demand that taxes be paid without an opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed; or
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
Taxpayers who receive a call from a scammer should report the case to the IRS by calling 800-366-4484.